I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. – Psalm 16:8
Shaken…doesn’t this word perfectly embody the overwhelming feelings that come from trying to eat right, get that workout in, and feel confident in your clothes – especially in those awful dressing room mirrors!
Do you ever feel this way?
- You can’t seem to get control over what you eat and you feel guilty?
- You’re tired of feeling insecure and uncomfortable about your body?
- You’ve been telling yourself you’re going to get back on track with your workouts, but you never seem to make the time?
I have felt every one of these emotions, and I’ve wanted to quit. But, God! He doesn’t leave us alone on our journey to getting fit. When we come to the end of ourselves, He’s there waiting, and He has promised to be our strength.
Meet my client Sarah…
Sarah came to me because she was exhausted and frustrated from trying to lose weight. She felt out of control and like a failure. As we chatted about her struggles, she said she felt like she had to do everything perfectly. She had an all or nothing mentality. I shared with her that this type of thinking is out of balance and the Bible warns us:
Be sober [well balanced and self-disciplined], be alert and cautious at all times. That enemy of yours, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion [fiercely hungry], seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8 AMP
It’s taken Sarah time, but learning to give herself grace, find balance and not being so extreme has helped her learn that food is not her report card and missing a workout doesn’t mean she should give up and quit. In three months, she was able to finally reach her goal.
Sarah learned how grace-based food and fitness means when you fall down in Christ, you rely on Him and He helps you get back up quicker.
7 Tips To Get Your Fitness Goals Back on Track
- Surrender all your frustration, expectation, doubt and self-loathing to God. (And prayerfully stop taking it back.)
- Reset your thinking. Rather than beat yourself up and replay all the things you ate, workouts you skipped or just being overly self-critical– say this, “ I’m only one good decision away from being back on track. In Him, I’ve got this!”
- Create a motivational playlist, or listen to mine, here. The lyrics are so important. Make sure you are breathing God’s truth of who you are into your goals.
- Get accountable! Sign up for a challenge, or a cause or take a new group fitness class.
- Choose a scripture and memorize it. Empower yourself with the word.
- Find a new recipe or healthy restaurant and make your next meal a step toward a healthier you.
- Get alone with God and ask Him to show you that you don’t need to lose weight to be good enough; in Him you’re good enough – right now.
If the Bible is new to you, Google what it says about how you’re feeling. Nothing will empower you more than knowing who you are in Christ.
God’s mercies are new every morning, so will you skip the guilt, hush that critical voice and try one thing on this list to get back on track? Don’t let another day turn into a week or even a month–get back on track today.
I want to hear from you. Which one did you try?
Here to help you get healthy, happy and fit God’s way,
P.S. If you’re looking for a great Faith, Food and Fitness Challenge, check this out.