” For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
Did you know God cares about your struggles with food and He wants to help you?
Have you ever considered that inviting God into your frustrating battle to get healthy is exactly what you’ve been missing to find lasting results? Maybe no one ever told you that you could come to Him with your overeating, under-eating, or pure confusion about what to eat, but you can.
He is the only one who knows YOU and exactly what keeps tripping you, your unresolved hidden hurts, and your reasoning for self-sabotaging behavior.
Does this sound like you?
- You’re always on a diet or looking for the latest quick weight loss fix?
- You struggle with food portions and eat for comfort, stress, anger and even reward?
- Your motivation is fleeting and comes from events like: a high school reunion, vacation or swimsuit season?
What if I told you, you could live looking and feeling your best ALL the time – not just for an occasion? Let’s be honest, what is the point of putting yourself on an extreme diet and losing weight only to gain it all back? Again, and again, and again…
Dieting doesn’t work long term, because it puts the focus on food and your willpower.
Faith in your food and fitness puts your daily focus on God and relying on His power.
Tess is a strong Christian woman who loves the Lord, but she couldn’t seem to remove the cloud and fog she felt from compulsive overeating. She is very educated about whole foods and portion control, but the knowledge wasn’t enough to help her overcome the emotions that drove her to binge eat.
During one of our conversations, I asked her if she had ever truly gotten down on her knees and asked God to remove the burden of food and diet addiction.
The next day she told me she had, but she wanted to know if there was anything she could do to stay accountable. I suggested Overeaters Anonymous.
Tess reached out to them and has found the support she had been missing, and now the weight is coming off and the fog has been lifted.
In Christ, you are an Overcomer too! Let’s get you started.
7-Steps to Fix Your Relationship with Food:
- Surrender your appetite to God. Lay it down, draw the line in the sand and remember my acronym, S.A.F.E. Surrender Appetite Faithfully Everyday.
- Pause and pray before meals. Ask yourself if you’re eating because you’re stressed, angry, or tired; it’s unhealthy to eat your emotions. Whatever you’re feeling, look to the word of God to heal the hurt, because food never will.
- Pinpoint your triggers and the time of day you tend to have cravings and preemptively take them out with a healthy snack and a prayer before they hit. For example, if you crave chips or candy at 4:00 PM, plan to have a healthy alternative at 3:30 to avoid derailing your goals.
- Create an eating plan that you’ll actually do and one that works in your life. Living on shakes, bars, chicken, fish and green veggies aren’t going to last long. Find foods you like, healthy ways to prepare them, and restaurants that offer organic, whole God-made foods.
- Don’t do this alone. Join my Facebook Group, FIT Sisters in Christ, or find a friend to get healthy with, start a small group at your church, seek medical help if you need it, or join Overeater’s Anonymous like our sweet friend Tess did.
- Use tools like these food containers to learn proper portion sizes, or with my FIT Hand Chart.
- Know your why. What’s motivating you? Do you want to be a better role model for your kids, avoid diabetes, heart disease, cancers, or perhaps have more energy and less joint pain? What about a new career, mission trip or confidence to be all God has planned for you?
How long have you been on this cycle of losing and gaining and feeling out of control?
When Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt, it took 40 years. Scholars say that 40-year trip should’ve only taken 11 days.
“You have circled this mountain long enough. Now go north!” – Deuteronomy 2:3
How many times do you think they circled that mountain? How many times do you think you’ve circled your mountain?
My prayer is that you stop circling the mountain and go north! Only in Him will we ever truly find the answers we need. Will you pray about inviting God on this journey with you?
Start with these 7 Steps and take it one meal and one good choice at a time. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, so run to God when you slip, and know that you can do this in Him.
I want to share a scripture that fixed my relationship with food…
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock if anyone answers I will come in and eat with them and they with me.”
– Revelation 3:20
God wants to do life with you friend, real life!
I hope you invite Him in.
Here to help you get healthy, happy and fit God’s way,
P.S. If you want to know more about inviting God on your food and fitness journey, please read the first few chapters of my book, Faith Inspired Transformation, F.I.T. for free.